Sospel: a village in the heart of the Bevera Valley
This peaceful village with medieval charm is home to a Baroque ensemble: the facades of religious buildings and trompe l’oeil paintings testify to the original cultural identity of the place.
A true theatre setting, Sospel stretches from both sides of the Bevera, at an altitude of 350 meters.
Situated about 20 kilometers from Menton, Sospel is a city steeped in history that was developed thanks to « route du sel » (the Salt Road) during the Middle Ages.
Sospel main attractions:
- le Pont-Vieux (Old Bridge)
- Chapels of Penitents
- Saint-Michel Cathedral
- Saint-Michel Square
- Trompe l’oeil village paintings
- Fort Saint-Roch
- Fort Barbonnet
- Fort of Agaisen
- Republic Street (Carriera Longua) and its fountain
- Saint-Nicolas and its fountain
- Sainte-Croix Chapel (White Penitents Chapel)
- Garibaldi Square
- Place de la Cabraia and its fountain
- Castle square
- San Sebastian Chapel
- Saint-Roch Chapel